Readers Pages

Ted's Corner


Kit No. 4455. 1:72nd scale

From Chuck Holte

front view
Kit options included the combination wing tip rocket pod/fuel tank for the “D” model and the underwing Falcon and nuclear-tipped Genie missiles with regular wing tip fuel tanks of the “J” model.
 front view
I built the “D” model Scorpion mostly out of the box adding only instrument panels from the Airwaves (72-63) brass set in place of the kit supplied cockpit decals.  Overall fit was excellent with no filler required.  For the natural metal finish, I used Reynold’s Wrap aluminum foil applied with Microscale Metal Foil Adhesive.  Model Master Insignia Red FS 31136 was used for the high visibility arctic paint scheme and Model Master Flat Black for the anti-glare panel.
Decals were for a Scorpion from the 66th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, Elmendorf AFB Alaska, 1955, from Superscale sheet 72-640. 
This was a very enjoyable kit to build and I think the finished model captures the imposing look of the large twin-engine fighter-interceptor of the ‘50s.



Roden PKZ-2, 1/72, Kit 008


The PKZ-2 (Petrochy-Karman-Zurovec) was a World War One Austro-Hungarian tethered helicopter that reportedly flew more than 30 times in the Spring and early Summer of 1918.  Two counter rotating props were driven by three 100 hp Gnome, and later more powerful Le Rhone rotary engines.  A white-knuckled observer rode in an open tub above the thrashing props and rotating engines.  The prototype crashed during a demonstration to the senior staff in June 1918 and was never used operationally or put into series production.

 top view

The Roden kit in 1/72 appears to be an accurate rendering of the prototype aircraft.  The kit includes 50 injection molded plastic parts, an excellent instruction sheet, a molded base and one very small decal sheet. I assembled the parts per the instructions but drilled out the center drive train core and added a length of brass rod for strength.  The engines and drive train are well detailed.  working

The engines were painted metallic gray and detailed with copper paint and a dark wash.  The structure was painted in several shades of flat medium gray and the props were done in gloss dark brown.  The cockpit detailing consists of the kit provided seat for the observer.  I used stretched plastic sprue for the considerable rigging necessary.  An enjoyable little kit to build and certainly something different to display amid all the modern helicopters and jets.





#Back to the Top

Last Page
What's New
Next Page